Health Symptoms

I hate being sick.  And who doesn’t?  Well, it might interest you to know that mold and its effects are a growing concern in the public health domain.  Prolonged exposure to areas that are contaminated with mold can lead to various health problems.  Thus, not only can mold be wet, slimy and ugly to look at, but it can also be a serious health concern to boot!  This means that you need to ensure there is no mold build up or growth within your home, work place or any other place that you frequent.  For clinical diagnosis and proper medical treatment of mold exposure, it is critical for the general public to know the potential health symptoms and side effects from black mold exposure.


Allergy-like symptoms are the most common symptoms of mold.

So how are those itty-bitty mold spores so dangerous to the health and well-being of you and your loved ones?  Well, sometimes the greatest danger to our health are those every day things that we encounter regularly and don’t even know it.  Microscopic mold spores like to be airborne, and love to settle anywhere where they can get a good, damp place to grow.  You can be exposed to mold and not even realize it — not until you start to feel the effects.  Mold can be found at work or at your home.  Inhaled mold spores are a common cause of allergic reactions to workers in industrial factories, where the temperatures can be less regulated and provide a more conducive, mold-growing environment in those dark, unfrequented corners.  But don’t forget the health concerns at home.  Extended exposure to mold at your home can result in allergic asthma and allergic rhinitis, both common in children.  Prolonged exposure to mold gives the unwelcome spores plenty of time to find ways into your body, including through ingestion, skin exposure and inhalation.


If you are any of your loved ones are feelings the effects of mold exposure, seek medical help right away.

Extreme mold contamination can lead to serious consequences.  A person or animal exposed to mold can develop mycosis (a fungal infection) and severe allergic reactions.  These unsavory health symptoms are due to the toxins found in black mold, known as mycotoxins.  Mycotoxins can be found on the mold growth itself, on the surface where the mold is growing, or in the air, carried by the mold spores.


When treating a victim of black mold contamination, it is important to note that the symptoms can vary with the amount of mold exposure and the species of the mold. Some of the more common symptoms from black mold include:

1) Inflammation of the eyes — look for irritated eyes that are watery, swollen, red and itchy

2) Nasal congestion — look for stuffed-up nose, congested nose, or even runny nose.  In extreme cases sinus congestion might occur.

3) Difficulty in breathing — this occurs as a result of congestion in your lungs and chest.  In extreme conditions the victim might end up developing other respiratory problems such as wheezing or pain in your chest.  If this occurs, seek the help of a medical doctor immediately.

4) Itchiness of the skin — in many cases, the black mold victim will experience irritation of the skin as a first symptom.  Extreme exposure can lead to painful rashes on the affected areas.

5) Throat irritation — sore, irritated or inflamed throats can mean that one has been excessively exposed to mold

6) Nausea and vomiting — ingestion of high dosages of black mold in the air can result in nausea and vomiting.  The nausea may be preceded by severe headaches.  Get to your doctor as soon as possible.

7) Diarrhea — is it something you ate?  Why, yes, actually.  Consumption of food or drink that is contaminated with black mold spores might lead to bouts of diarrhea.  This is a result of toxic elements found in the mold.

8) Coughing — many mold victims experience persistent and irritating coughs

Black mold may be lethal if it is not safely and effectively removed.  Removing all mold from your home, work and other areas that you frequent is necessary to keep you and those around you healthy and happy.  To ensure a mold-free environment for yourself and those in your home or workplace, hiring a mold removal professional can ensure that you have a safe, healthy and mold-free environment.  Here’s to a long, happy, healthy, successful and mold-free life!